Started work on the fairings that cover the lift strut forks and fittings at the wing. Here is what the originals looked like:
Here is a better picture of how they look, this time on Cam Blazer’s Model 90A:
Here is the same piece shown above, but just flipped upside down to show what the other side looks like:
At this point it is ready to make a mold. Living in a rural area, I have little choices for mold material, so I picked up a 60 lb bag of cement at the local hardware store. I made a frame to go around the original piece. The original piece and the frame were waxed and then covered with a thin layer of vaseline. Then mixed and poured the concrete into the frame (on top of the original piece). Let this dry for 2 days and then un-molded it, leaving a perfect impression of the original piece.
Here is the mold, a piece of aluminum and the starting hammer of choice:
I cut a piece of wood to screw onto the top of the frame and aluminum, that outlines the shape to be hammered. The screws help hold the aluminum in place:
This is 3003H14 that had been annealed in the area to be shaped. After about 10 minutes of hammering, here is what it looked like still in the mold:
And here is that same piece after being removed from the mold:
I’ve made two of these so far. Some planishing with a tear drop dolly and slapper. They are going to work out great. I’m thinking about making another mold so I can make some more. I might try making the mold out of Hydrocal 40, a US Gypsum product that is 8 times stronger than concrete, has little or no shrinking when drying, and has been used successfully by hot rodders to make some body panels.